Samish Health Department
Joanne Liantonio RHIA, Contract Health Administrator
Erin Soucy, Contract Health Services Administrator
Kim Padgett, Health Administrative Specialist
Mitch Markovich RN, Public Health Research
Catherine Mizen ARNP, Health Director
P.O. Box 919
Anacortes, WA 98221
Toll Free: 877.470.8737
Hours: 8:00am to 6:00pm
Contract Health Services (CHS)
Enrolled members of the Samish Indian Nation whose permanent residence is within a ten county region (Whatcom, Skagit, Kitsap, Snohomish, King, Island, San Juan, Pierce, Jefferson and Clallam) are eligible for Contract Health Services. In order to access this assistance, clients must register with the CHS office, and abide by the Samish CHS program guidelines. In general, CHS may pay for physician and other health professional services, dental services, prescriptions, vision care, physical therapy, hearing aids and mental health services.
New Medications added to the Samish Formulary effective September 1, 2013
After careful consideration, the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Workgroup recommended the addition of the following medications to the Samish Formulary:
- Fluticasone/salmeterol inhaled
- Tiotropium oral inhaler
- Lancets, generic
- Latanoprost ophthalmic
These medications will be available for coverage by Samish CHS eligible clients for prescriptions filled on or after September 1, 2013. The Samish Council approved these recommendations at their meeting of July 26, 2013.
If you have medications that are not currently on the Samish Approved Drug List, and would like them to be considered for addition, you may submit your request for consideration by the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Workgroup. You must use the Samish Formulary Request Form, which is located on the MEMBERS ONLY page of the website, or Contract Health Services can send you a copy of the form. The Workgroup will meet again in 6 months to review the requests.
To view Formulary Request Form
Please visit our members only site.
Increased Benefits for Contract Health Clients for Effective starting Year 2011
Drug /alcohol treatment and other medical benefits are unchanged. Please call with any questions.
Effective January 1, 2009, the Samish Council has approved the following increased benefits for CHS eligible clients:
$350 per person per calendar year. For patients with diabetes, additional eye care services are available, as required.
$6000 lifetime benefit
$ 1500 per calendar year for each CHS eligible client
Benefit levels are reviewed and evaluated regularly, and may be enhanced or reduced in response to budgetary constraints. Please call Contract Health Services for specifics at (360) 899-5454 or toll free at (877)470-8737.
CHS guidelines in general are:
- Patients must use all other resources to pay for care before using CHS (such as Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance) because CHS is a ‘payer of last resort’. CHS can cover co-payments and deductible amounts when pre-authorized as outlined below.
- There are pre-appointment and emergency notification requirements. Call in advance for any appointment and call within 72 hours of any emergency visits. The medical need must be within the Indian Health Service medical priorities, and the Samish Health Program limitations.
- In order to access government pricing for ongoing, long term medications, refills must be ordered through Bellegrove Pharmacy at (800) 446-2123 or online at www.bgrx.com
- Short term retail meds may require your outlay of funds. Reimbursement forms may be obtained by using the Pharmacy Reimbursement Form below.
For questions about the CHS eligibility, pre-authorizations, program limitations, or general health coverage issues, please call our Contract Health Program at (877) 470-8737
Direct Care Services
For those members who live outside of the ten county service delivery area, the hospitals and clinics of the Indian Health Services are available for services, often at no cost to you. However, the Indian Health Service facilities cannot always provide a full range of health care services. A referral by an Indian Health facility to a non-Indian Health facility does not constitute a commitment by the IHS or any tribal program to pay for any services.
Click here for more information about locating an Indian Health Service Area Office or facility near you. http://www.ihs.gov