The Samish Canoe Family
The Samish Canoe Family is a volunteer group of tribal members, friends and relatives, and our numbers have grown from about a half dozen in 2002 to more than 50 who actively participated in the summer of 2006. With no paid positions, we rely on mostly our own efforts to fundraise, with occasional matching funds offered by our Tribal leaders. A limited amount of support is derived from the Prevention funds through our Tribe’s DASA contract; typically we utilize those funds for securing food for our host responsibilities. We enjoy practicing, making small local outings, and whenever possible answer the invitations to bring our canoes to local festivals and events.
2013 Canoe Journey
PADDLE TO QUINAULT
The Samish Indian Nation will be hosting canoes that will land in our territory at Fidalgo Bay Resort on Tuesday, July 16th, 2013. We expect a minimum of ten canoes to land, with about 40 to 50 people either paddling or as ground support. The Tribe will host a huge meal for upwards of 400 to 500 people on mid to late afternoon of the 16th and support related camping at the northwest side of the resort, plus a breakfast for about 150 to 200 people on the 17th.
Tentative route is as follows:
Stay up to date on the current route planning here:(click on the title to follow the link)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO VOLUNTEER?
We need volunteers to help with our hosting responsibilities which will include:
- Hosting coordination
- Shuttle drivers to get salmon from Barleans Fisheries west of Ferndale
- Clam diggers to gather for our meal
- Salmon cooks
- Frybread cooks
- Prep cooks for the main meal side courses and breakfast menus
- Table and chair set up the morning of the 17th
- Parking attendants to direct traffic and campers
- Shuttle drivers to transport food to resort from the Longhouse and/or other kitchens
- Food servers to maintain the food lines on the 17th
- Food waste, recycling & garbage set up and support on the 17th
- Food servers to maintain the food lines on the 18th
- Food waste, recycling, and garbage support and tear down on the 18th
- Set up PA system on 17th pack up on 18th
- MC for the canoe landing and protocol
- Clean up helpers to restore RV kitchens on both the 17th and 18th
- Clean up helpers to wipe and stack tables and chairs on the afternoon of the 18th
- Overnight Security on the 17th
- Cleanup helpers to make sure camping area is left spotless
- Shuttles drivers to take suitable leftover food to Food Bank
I WANT TO VOLUNTEER!
If you would like to volunteer please contact Jan Flagg at 360.293.6404 extension 106, email at email@example.com or Rosie James at 360.588.8200 extension 107, email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Canoe Journey T-Shirts Pre-Sale.
Would you like a 2013 Canoe Journey t-shirt? If so please contact Leslie Eastwood at email@example.com to place an order. We have regular tee shirts S – XXL, and some fitted ladies tee shirts S – XXL (these run small, size up one or two sizes) plus some youth sizes available S (6-8) M (10-12).
$20 per shirt payable to Samish Canoe Family plus $5 for shipping and handling.
Design and Color to be determined!