Our Cultural Connections and Outreach Programs are designed around the belief that a strong sense of self-worth is built through a clear knowledge of who we are, who and where we come from, as well as where we are going. We all need to feel useful and we need to feel that we have a purpose.
- To strengthen community bonds and increase resilience of individuals.
- To encourage balanced lives that result in making positive life choices.
- To increase opportunities for youth and elders to feel connected have increased self-esteem, and sense of self-worth.
The Chelángen Dept supports members by:
- Having cultural classes
- Offering stipends to help members go to cultural skill training
- Offering family-fun activities like the cultural boat trip, Mariners game, Camp Samish, Canoe Journey, and the Samish Christmas party
- Helping with the Elders Luncheon and the Cultural Day in June
- We work with the Education Program and Samish Early Learning Center, area public school students, and college students
- We refer members to Samish Social Services, Housing Program, and Vocational Rehabilitation to meet needs of members
- Please contact our programs if you have ideas to share!
Cultural Training Stipends:
In order to receive a stipend for cultural classes or workshops, please contact Sally B. prior to the workshop. We no longer do reimbursements for workshops. Per the Cultural Committee, each household is eligible for two stipends each year. We require proof of attendance which could include a copy of your registration, a kit receipt, or a photo of yourself at the workshop.