Public Health Services
The Samish Indian Nation Health Program offers a varied scope of services to assist with the health and wellness needs of our tribal members. Mitch Markovich, RN, is the Samish Indian Nation’s Public Health Research and Program Manager, public health nurse and Diabetes Project Coordinator. He is available to provide health care management services in support of the diverse needs of the Samish Tribal Members.
Services provided through the Samish Public Health Program include:
Diabetes Program (Tribal Members in the ten county service delivery area) –
- A continued and focused effort to assure that Samish Tribal Members, with an active diagnosis of Diabetes, receive care, treatment and disease management services according to IHS Standards of Care for Diabetes. Examples of care include, a review of medical records and health history, self-management support, including correlated teaching, the promotion of an educational wellness curriculum and the coordination of individual aspects of care.
- The consistent management of nutritional programs, which include monthly food gift cards that assist with the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables and support with individual nutritional needs by providing information and educational materials.
- Assistance with physical activity goals and a wide range of correlated education.
- Assistance with reimbursement for medical supplies.
- Sponsorship of patients and their families to attend diabetes health conferences and workshops.
- Invitations to attend interactive cultural Health and Wellness Activities.
- The distribution of healthy lifestyle information for all tribal members.
- Continuously working toward increasing our tribal member’s awareness that implementing healthy behavior and lifestyle changes now will prevent or delay the risk of contracting chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
CHRONIC AND PREVENTATIVE DISEASE PROGRAMS
In addition to Public Health’s major role in the care, treatment and prevention of diabetes, Samish Public Health is committed to focusing its efforts on examining the risk factors and underlying causes of chronic illness, encouraging high quality chronic illness care and improving health in our communities. Along with diabetes, chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, disabling arthritis and various cancers – to name just a few – are the leading causes of morbidity and mortality among the Native American Population. Samish Public Health is available to provide self-management support with resources and education to assist patients with chronic diseases to become more active in managing their health condition. When informed patients are encouraged to play an active role in their care and health care providers are given support, time, resources and expertise, the interactions between patient and providers are likely to be much more productive.
We continually strive to improve and sustain healthy lifestyles for our tribal populace following the Indian Health Services standards of care. To assist us in meeting the needs of our native population, we encourage you to contact Samish Public Health with your thoughts, ideas and opinions. We value your input and insights!
Samish Public Health also provides services for the Samish Head Start Program and for the Samish Elders Program.