Purpose: To ensure families have access to the services and resources they need to end their homelessness and achieve well-being.
Help Unsheltered Families
- Quickly identify families living outside, in cars, and other unsheltered locations.
- Meet families' immediate service and basic needs.
- Provide unsheltered families immediate access to a safe place to stay.
Divert Homeless Families from Shelter
- Support families that have lost their housing to find safe alternative places to stay (e.g., with extended family or friends) and avoid entry into shelter or unsheltered settings.
- Connect families to services and resources in the community.
Shelter Homeless Families
- Provide high quality, low-barrier shelter that is focused on quickly returning families to housing.
- Provide short-term services.
- Support acquisition and/or renovation of property (such as motels) to address gaps in appropriate shelter options for families. No more than 50 percent of grant funds may be used to acquire and/or renovate property.
Re-house Homeless Families Quickly
- Help families regain housing through housing navigation and move-in assistance.
- Provide rapid rehousing, shallow rent subsidies, and/or financial assistance so families are supported to quickly exit homelessness.
- Support acquisition and/or renovation of property that will provide permanent rental housing for formerly homeless families. No more than 50 percent of grant funds may be used to acquire and/or renovate property.
- Connect families to long-term rental assistance and services such as through permanent supportive housing.
Connect Families to Needed Services
- Ensure families are linked to services in the community that will help them exit homelessness, stabilize in housing, and achieve well-being.
- Ensure that families have access to employment, health care, and needed children's services.
- Help families establish and strengthen their informal support networks.
- Support people with lived experience to inform the design of programs and policies that impact their lives.
- Invest in staff development, staff training, and data to identify and address racial disparities in assistance and program outcomes.