Purpose: To prevent tribal families from experiencing hunger.
The food insecurity rate for Native American communities is twice as high compared to the general U.S. population and three times as high compared to White Americans.
What is the Emergency Food Assistance Program?
EFAP helps low-income households by providing an emergency food assistance voucher.
What does EFAP provide?
EFAP provides vouchers to ensure nutritional needs are being met. This voucher is mailed out once a month and can be used only at approved stores, and is available for eligible citizens in our ten county service area: Whatcom, Skagit, Island, San Juan, Snohomish, King, Kitsap, Clallam, Jefferson, and Pierce.
How do I qualify for the EFAP Program?
You must be a Samish Tribal Citizen
You must reside within the ten county service area.
To qualify, your household gross income must be at or below the amounts listed for your household size and you must live in our ten county service area: Whatcom, Skagit, Island, San Juan, Snohomish, King, Kitsap, Clallam, Jefferson or Pierce.
Use the chart below by finding the line containing your household size and comparing your income against the amounts listed to see if you are eligible.
Income Eligibility Criteria Matrix for July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022
Benefit amount can change without notice, contingent on funding.
|60% State Median Income (SMI) ||60% State Median Income (SMI)|
For each additional household member above six persons, add three percentage points to the percentage for a six-person household (132 percent), and multiply the new percentage by 60 percent of the State's estimated median income for a four-person household.
Voucher amount can change without notice, contingent on funding.
When children are hungry:
- Hunger may flatten the normal curve of growth.
- Higher incidence of infections; weakening immune system.
- Families are 90% more likely to be in fair or poor health.
- 30% higher rates of hospitalization compared to food secure children.
- Psychosocial dysfunction & difficulty with social interaction among children 6 to 12.
- Can cause poor school attendance & grades, anxiety & depression.
The elderly and aging: The underlying causes of or contributors to many of the nutrition-related difficulties that Elders face include:
- Frailty and poor health
- Compounded medical conditions.
- Increasing disability
- Extended hospital stays
- Consumption of fewer calories & fewer servings
- Chronic nutritional deficiencies
- Weakening of the body’s immune defenses